Work-out Kale-Ginger-Apple "Biscuits"

The last three days the sleep in my eyes could not be dislodged easily. Getting up for oatmeal again wasn't encouraging. In tracking my protein intake, been doing a standard mix of 1/3 cup oats + 1/2 cup coconut milk (milk alternative) + 1/4 cup raisins + 5 g coconut sugar (low glycemic index) and cinnamon + 1 scoop Brown Rice protein powder. Tired of oatmeal means TIME FOR PANCAKES!!! But wait...I need more protein not just carbs for energy during these tiring circuit workouts...hmmm...

I know a few yoga friends have mentioned doing 3 day-juicing cleanses this month. I got inspired by that and I had some leftover pulp from my one-time (not ready for even a full day liquid cleanse yet) kale-ginger-orange-apple juicing snack last weekend (saved the pulp in a ziplock bag in the freezer). My mouth did a recoil from the amount of spiciness, the recipe called for 5 oz of ginger, I only did 2 oz. I do have to admit that it made me feel very alert. You know what else made me alert? Vitamin B-12. Dave let me have a little of his stash today after the lazy afternoon of watching The Croods (cute prehistoric animals, silly, brilliant/crystal clear visuals-go see it. I could be biased for liking Emma Stone). But back to the topic at hand, a hearty breakfast to fuel you in doing a work-out!

I decided to shake it up with another variation on the reliable gluten-free pancakes recipe and make a dent in my juicer pulp; however, I failed to consider that my new Sun Warrior Blend Protein Powder (Pea, Hemp and Cranberry protein) is very dense as is chickpea flour. My pancakes were a blobby-wobbly mess on the stove, so my second batch was thrown into the toaster oven on parchment paper. Which solved the doughy-center (raw chickpea flour makes my tongue cringe). There's a little touch savory flavor from the kale and ginger and some sweetness from the coconut sugar so I ate these without any sauces. I could see it being tasty with a sour cream (or dairy free nut "sour cream") or with jam if you have a sweet tooth. I also thought if the sugar was left out and  more herbs added it could be a great gluten-free topping for a pot pie (and includes protein if you're not doing a tofu or chicken pot pie)

 

INGREDIENTS for 10 biscuits


1.5 scoops of Sun Warrior Protein Blend (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBSP ground flax seed
2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
1/4 cup of leftover juicer pieces puree (I had kale-apple-ginger 1/2 cup blended with a few tbsp water)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 3/4 cup coconut milk (refrigerated milk alternative kind)



If using a regular oven, preheat to 400F.

1. Make your juicer puree.

2. Mix the ingredients starting at vanilla extract together in one bowl and allow to sit.

3. Mix the rest of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until uniformly mixed.

5. Place parchment paper on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through if one side browns more than the other.

NUTRITION per biscuit :


128 calories; 6.0 g protein; 20.8 g carbs; 2.3 g fat;
10% Calcium
4% Vitamin A
1% Vitamin C
6% Iron
High in Manganese...whatever that is good for.

Are you working on getting healthy as the weather is growing nicer? And what changes are you making?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terimakasih atas kunjungan Anda..Silahkan Anda menaruh komentar di sini dengan bahasa yang baik dan sopan.