Guest Chef VEGETARIAN Recipe: "Make-something-fast-because- I -didn't-plan-lunch dish"

I miss my family already from Christmas, despite weekly phone calls, texts or emails. I have all these things I'd like to do when they visit next.

-Indian food @ Annapurna (dosas!)
-Yoga @ the studio or on the beach
-Check out the San Diego Public Market (not yet done this but Vietca has)
-Thrift stores with in Poway
-Foot reflexology @ the newly remodeled Asian Twins massage rooms. Call ahead is recommended.
-See another play/musical
-Make tamales
-See if we can find Steam Powered Giraffe playing ("robotic" trio wearing steampunk, if you've $20, it would be well spent next weekend )

My sister shared this delightfully healthy and filling meal in a Facebook message with me a couple weeks ago.  If she can't be here in the kitchen with me, then her spirit and humor will have to do. Her original words and recipe:

 "Make-something-fast-because- I -didn't-plan-lunch dish"

-Some sort of grain(I used harvest blend from Trader Joe's. It has Israeli cous-cous, red quinoa, baby chickpeas, rosemary orzo. It has a nice texture and crunch in the quinoa and baby chickpeas!)
- Rainbow chard
-Leeks
-Olive oil
-Red wine vinegar
-crumbled soft cheese(I used goat, but feta or blue could work)
-Nutritional yeast flakes
-ground flax seed
1) cook up your grains. rinse until cool.
2) Cook leeks in olive oil until browned, add chard and stir so it won't wilt, but enough that it's cooked Add a splash of vinegar. Take off heat.
3)When ingredients are cool, mix them together. Add cheese, nutritional yeast, and flax. I also added small freshly ground pepper on top. Taste the rainbow....chard. Served with bread of choice and a nice spread! (Olive bread from a local bakery in Kelseyville with eggplant)

Sara's take: I'm cool without measuring for some recipes. I figured some readers may not be ready to take that leap yet, so now I will let you know how mine made about 4-6 servings.

All my ingredients prepped:  cooked the beans from dried & the barley and rinsed/cut beet greens the night before. So maybe my version isn't an "oops forgot to make lunch"...but I have seen instant microwavable rice courtesy of my grandma. You can short cut with things like that and canned beans of course or use leftover cooked grains from another meal.

Big spoonful of love. The nutritional yeast and vinegar provides enough seasoning so I don't really care that there's no cheese-y goodness. If I don't dwell on it too much. Wah, gooey grilled cheese and pizza, I miss you. Daiya isn't the same.



A-NOM-NOM-NOM


-1 3/4 cup of cooked grain (Too bad the TJ mix has cous cous and orzo that aren't wheat free...I used pearl barley which is wheat-free but not gluten-free, cooked with 2x water to grain ratio for 20 minutes, had to add a little additional water)
-6 cups beet greens and stems instead of chard (rinsed 3 times in a big bowl to remove dirt, separated greens and stems)
-1/2 cup chopped onion (since I didn't have leeks)
-2/3 tbsp of olive oil
-1 tbsp red wine vinegar and/or rice vinegar
-1.5 cups of kidney beans for protein instead of cheese/TJ mix's chickpeas
-1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
-2 tbsp ground flax seed (Costco had a huge bag that doesn't require refrigeration!)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With feeling crabby (can't attribute it all to work stress) and skin going downhill, it's time to re-energize the exercising and diet. Farewell for awhile refined sugar.  Hello, butt-kicking circuit work-outs and testing out more protein powder based-snacks. And hello (sigh) macronutrient tracking.

Practicing for Marconutrient tracking with Kathleen Tesori work-outs: 

6 servings-serving size 132 g (need to see how accurate this Calorie Counter is, I just divided my tupperware into 6 portions)

290 calories: 18.1 g protein; 50.8 g carbs; 5.3 g fat

I like Calorie Counter because it tells you the pros and cons of recipes you make...this one is:
With no cons...good job & thanks SIS-STAR! 

Do you have leftover beans because you used 2 cans or just overdid it with dried beans like me? I used my  do ever-new-favorite tamale recipe but you could do a half portion (12 squares) of No Meat Athlete's vegan bean brownie (don't knock it till you try it-really rich and the instant coffee is a must! Has the extra boost of protein. Have not tested, but am sure the low GI coconut sugar I use could work instead)


What recipe have you received recently and made? What's your favorite place to take out of town guests?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terimakasih atas kunjungan Anda..Silahkan Anda menaruh komentar di sini dengan bahasa yang baik dan sopan.