Fall Fruit and Celery Salad + Home-delivery CSA

I love my Suzie's Farm subscription, but was willing to also try out a farm that has a good variety of fruit that gets delivered. I found out my first home delivery CSA called Farm2You got sent to my old rental address (they didn't confirm before sending, boo-be aware the promoters may not convey this accurately!) since they finally got enough subscribers to deliver to my neighborhood. It seems nice because you can have them deliver every 1-4 weeks and not locked into a number of deliveries. On this one you can also log into your account and change out a fruit or vegetable of equivalent value if there is something you don't like or feel like that time. This would probably be a great CSA to start with if you are wary of getting produce you dislike (many other CSA you just have to see about trading with a friend or deal with it.)


Since last week we got our first big rain of fall, the box was sitting out on the old porch for me like a sad, soggy dog. I quickly, lovingly shoved the box into my car. At home when I could open the box, although everything seemed fresh as a daisy, I was dismayed to see celery. Very few veggies that I can't make friends with but this along with radishes are force fed. (I refuse to let them go wilty and don't have a compost still.) For future deliveries I am going to exclude celery, but for now I got inspired by a suggestion from a fellow yoga teacher, Sonja, and a recipe I saw (but could not re-locate on Food.com) with pomegranate seeds and orange juice.  Perfect that the box also came with some fall fruits-apples and pomegranates.


Fall Fruit and Celery Salad

Crunchy pops of sweetness from the fruit and the zing of mint helps tame the celery's strong flavor.
2 servings

2 celery ribs-thinly sliced moons (I did about two quarters-stacked together thick)
pomegranate seeds-half of the fruit
fresh orange juice-2 tbsp (or more to taste to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 mint sprig, rinsed and chopped
4 tbsp chopped nuts, toasted (optional)
1 apple-sliced, quartered then cut into 1/4" pieces
2-3 cups of torn salad greens (lettuce, arugula, sprouts...whatever you've got)

Do your chopping and mining for pomegranate seeds.

Then toss to combine! May let it marinate a few hours for best flavors.



Tips: for the optional nuts, you can try different kinds and toast at about 350 a few minutes or on a pan low heat, I used macadamia.

Getting the pomegranate seeds out with less mess: cut the pomegranite in half, and then separate the seeds out in a large bowl filled with water. 

Try substituting mint with a different soft, leafy herbs. Oregano? Lemon verbena?

Are you ready for Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terimakasih atas kunjungan Anda..Silahkan Anda menaruh komentar di sini dengan bahasa yang baik dan sopan.