Vegetarian Summer Series Post #2 : Quick Cucumber-Melon Salad Dashed with Cumin

Happy to report that I had my first swap party this weekend! An idea which was probably found in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine that I clipped out over 3 years ago. Because we have to move next month, I was more inspired to get the event planned. Each person was to bring up to 10 items to swap. Whatever no one wanted is going to Goodwill this Friday (or in the case of Redneck Life board game..."whoever has the most teeth left at the end wins!" in a White Elephant stash).  Some of my items found new loving homes for a framed photograph I mistakenly purchased when we first moved to this house and books I finished reading (Memory Keeper's Daughter, Zookeeper's Wife, Little Altars Everywhere, While I'm Falling). Amy's puppers had a good time playing with the plush dinosaur tail that everyone tried on. I wish I had taken a photo. People tried out yoga poses from my 608 Asanas book but some were more fixated on the man's tiny shorts.

This weekend also brought me satisfaction that I got the chance to cook a meal for people who came out to swap. We had inari (fried tofu) sushi, cucumber-melon salad, and arugula and radish sprout salad with heirloom tomatoes. Also made some fancy-foo-foo water by sticking lemon verbena leaves and strawberry slices.  


Not photogenic!


CUCUMBER & MELON Salad Dashed with Cumin
Adapted from Rawmazing Jicama and Melon Salad

 
Dressing
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (soft nuts don't need to be soaked overnight)
  • 1 medium cucumber,  cubed
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp juice)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
 Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 

Salad
  • 3 cups melon cubed (I used one not as sweet)
  • 1/2 cup onions cut thin and roasted (450 F for about 25 minutes, with 1 tsp olive oil)
  • 1-2 tablespoons red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 2 cups steamed green beans (1" pieces, cooked about 5 minutes)
  • dressing from above
1. Place all ingredients in bowl and toss to combine. 

What kind of parties do you have coming up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terimakasih atas kunjungan Anda..Silahkan Anda menaruh komentar di sini dengan bahasa yang baik dan sopan.